Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Greatest Rapper Alive Finally Made A Good Album


Lil' Wayne, the self-proclaimed "greatest rapper alive," recently released his third (seemed like billionth) album this past week. I listened. I liked. And felt the need to comment. While "greatest rapper alive" is a flawed ego-boosting title, his witty lyrics, great use of pop-culture humor, and innovative verbal delivery left me throwing Tha Carter III on repeat. When Kanye's cocky he's kind of annoying, but when Weezy F Baby is cocky he's just funny as hell. And It's his conceited lyrics that do it for me:

Man, I got Summer hating on me cause I'm hotter than the sun / Got Spring hating on me cause I ain't never sprung / Winter hating on me cause I'm colder than ya'll / And I would never, I would never, I would never Fall / I'm being hated on by the season / So fuck ya'll who hating for no reason

If that doesn't do it for you, maybe the more vulgar sexual humor will:

"Safe sex is great sex
Better wear a latex
Cuz you don't want that late text
that "I think I'm late" text
So wrap it up
but but he so sweet,
she wanna lick the rapper"

For Beats See: Kanye's produced tracks (Duh!)
For Guest Appearances See: Jay-Z on "Mr. Carter"
For R&B See: Robin Thicke (As if "Shooter" wasn't enough)
For Lyrics See: Every Word On The Album (Well, sort of)

An artist is great, when they can retain their commercial sound (their fan base), while at the same time push the boundaries of innovation. Wayne is still Wayne, but his flow has been completely transformed. Each album, from Tha Carter to Tha Carter III, has shown great progression. Wayne, I'm a fan.

I'm not good at reviews, I don't feel like I can accurately break down each song, or touch on themes in the album, but I hope I have conveyed one thing to you: If you don't have the album, get it, it won't disappoint. With that being said, here's my grade for Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III.

Grade: A - (9.1) Why you ask? (Yea I hate A minuses too. It's like, "why can't I just have the 'A'?" Well, here's why Wayne: For starters, your album cover is terrible, just terrible! Second, a tone deft cocaine addict could make a better track than "Got Money." And if your truly the greatest rapper alive, you don't have guest appearances from T-Pain and Juelz Santana. You got an A minus Wayne, now go make another mixtape.


Lil' Wayne - Let The Beat Build
Lil' Wayne - Mr. Carter (Feat. Jay-Z)

No comments: